Sunday, January 10, 2010

Embrace the Fungi-side


I never liked culinary mushrooms. Weird slimy rubbery things.
I was not even mildly curiously as to their appeal...
that is, until I became pregnant with Calvin.
Somehow, I lived 24 years without having tasted the fungaliscious side of life!!!
Well, thanks to him, I can't seem to get enough.
My cravings come and go, but lately the desire has been so strong, I had to go BIG and so I got my hands on some enormously delicious Portabellos and we had ourselves a feast. Add some Shitake and... shizam!
***
oooooo eeee, these babies are just beggin' to be stuffed!
With no breadcrumbs, just the goodness of the ever gracious walnut.
Stuff it, bake it, top it, DEVOUR it! If the fungi hankerin hits you hard, throw some of this together:
***
4 large Portobellas
3 shallots, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup shitakes (fresh or re hydrated), finely chopped
cleaned, minced portobella stems
1 cup whizzed up walnuts (or more, to taste)
1 t dried basil
1 t dried oregano
salt & pepper
olive oil
cheese for melting on top (I used cheddar)
***
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
***
Clean portobellas and remove stems. Rub with olive oil, salt and pepper. Chop clean parts of stem and put in a bowl with shitakes, walnuts and spices.
Saute shallots and garlic in olive oil until soft. Add the mushroom mixture. Cook another 5-10 minutes. Stuff underbellies of the big caps with stuffing and cook for approx. 15 min., uncovered. Then add cheese and cook for 15 minutes longer.
***
Note: for decadence, add a splash of white wine to stuffing while sauteing.
***

2 comments:

  1. Wow, delicious. Glad you fell in love. How nice that Calvin showed you the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo, I'm making these tonight! We are still "cleansing" but I'm having nuts for that fats baby and we'll skip the cheese (boo).

    ReplyDelete