Thursday, April 30, 2009

Recipe For Peace

Outside, our newly planted flowers are getting the first splashes of morning sun.

Inside, we are stirring. Morning kisses, dream sharing, a whistling kettle...

As breakfast begins, I sip my tea in peace.
OK, this is where you hear the sound of a record scratching to a halt.
Quiet?! Peace?! Calm?! On a school morning?!

YES.

There is no whining over raisins in the granola or the favorite shirt still dirty in the wash. No lost water bottles or library books to scrounge up.

Just sipping on my tea and eating yesterday's banana bread with the boys while they quietly color away. Miles has been asking every night at bed time if he can color and I keep telling him to wait until morning and then we both completely forget as the morning routine gets the better of us. So last night in exasperation he says "Mom, can you remind me in the morning so I don't forget?" And I say, "you know what buddy, I am going to set that all up tonight at the table so you can eat and draw when you get up."


Miles, can you remind me every night about the joys of a creative breakfast ?


And let's not forget the banana bread that the boys helped me make last night.

A few chocolate chips thrown in go a long way to making a morning deliciously zen.



Chocolate Chip Buckwheat Banana Bread

1/3 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup agave nectar
2 eggs
1 t vanilla
3/4 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 cup almond meal
3 T ground golden flax
1 t salt
1 t baking soda
3 very ripe bananas
1/3 cup sour cream or yogurt
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a large loaf pan or large round casserole dish.
Beat soft coconut oil with agave and eggs on medium for a few minutes.
Mix together buckwheat, almond meal, flax and salt in a separate bowl then add to wet mixture. Smash bananas and add in with sour cream/yogurt. Mix well then fold in chocolate chips and coconut. Check after 1 hr. 15 minutes.

~ ~ ~



3 comments:

  1. MMM, I want it!! Your boys are so sweet. I was looking at pictures (on your fb), Miles looks just like you and Cal like Billy it's so cool!
    Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did we seriously just have a phone conversation and you did not mention to me that you have a gluten free, soon to be dairy free when I make it banana bread recipe with buckwheat. I'm shocked because I'm going into the kitchen right now and mushing up my bananas baby.

    ReplyDelete